Monday 14 December 2015

Dec 2 Warkworth-Puhoi-Orewa

Having to go to the medical clinic in Warkworth I missed 1 day of hiking. The Dome cafe to puhoi was around 30km. Anyways, I bussed in the morning to Puhoi to rejoin the Te Araroa. Today will be a 8km kayak paddle down to Wenderholm Park on the outskirts of Auckland. 

Kayaking across te estuary was simple to set up and cost 50$. The day was calm when I first started out. When the estuary opened up there was going to be a crosswind going NE or SE. The owner told me to paddle to the calm side here there should be flat water. The fastest time was 1hr 10m to Wenderholm park. The first 40m was quite nice, water was flat and no wind. I stopped twice for some good photo ops. When I entered the wide bit the wind howled and there was no crossind, only headwind. There were baby rapids but water still got into the kayak. Not much, but enough to freak me out. I started paddling hard now as I knew where the end was. I made it to the beach in 1hr 15m which was enough time for me to be in the water. 

As I was exiting the kayak I slipped and landed on my hand. That was painful so I popped 2 ibuprofen and continued on. The Kayak was picked up by the owner and I was on my way. 

I had a cold shower to wash all the sand off then had a forest/road walk to Waiwera? I think that's the name. I stopped for ice cream. 
My hand was in some serious pain so I found a bus to the Orewa holiday park. Got a cabin and cleaned out and redressed my hand. 
Richard came later in the day after hitching to Whangarei to get his bounce box. 

Takapuna Holiday park tomorrow



No comments:

Post a Comment