Wednesday 25 November 2015

Nov 18 Herekino Rainforest Ahipara-Takahue

I had previously heard that the next 3 'forests' were pretty damn tough after a day or more of rain. And when I say 'forest' like it says on the topo map, it's actually a 'rainforest'! Not just a typical forest with a nice path. Oh and here's the kicker, just two days before we started, the northern jungles got a 75mm dump of rain! Exciting!

The first two hours of the day were walking through Ahipara then along a road which wasn't very busy up a hill. Once we got to the top of the hill we saw the ominous 'Herekino Forest Track' sign. We took a good 30 minute break then took off into the jungle. The first few hours weren't all that bad, I was thinking that it would be like the West coast Trail back he but it wasn't. There were no knee deep pools of mud with no way of avoiding them. The terrain was very steep tho, and with the rainfall it was quite muddy and slippery. Luckily I had great goretex shoes with vibram bottoms. They were very grippy, and also with poles the hike was pretty straight forward. 
The DOC times are normally halved by me, I remember the first day. A section said it would take 6.5 hours and I did it in 2.5. This forest said 8.5 hours and I was definitely thinking after a couple of hours it may just take us that, or more. 
The ""path"" was sometimes 1 foot wide with foliage at your feet covering all the slippery roots and rocks, and at your head level there were ferns and trees slapping you in the face so you sometimes couldn't even see the foliage. It was rough, and dangerous, not seeing what you're stepping on. 
Near the top of the hill where there is a viewpoint to Kaitiaia, I passed a woman who was going very slowly. It turns out she is American and started the day at 7 while campin in the forearm she was taking her time. We all had lunch at the top of the hill in the only open spot in the whole bloody jungle. 
The hard part was done, now it's all downhill from here. And oh man was it downhill. Some patches were over 60% grade and with muddy conditions, just meant it to be a death trap. I took the lead after lunch and got to this one really steep section. For the first time today I was nervous that I might fall and get impaled by a banana palm or strangle by a vine. I got down by "Tarzaning it". Using trees and vines I got down ok. I was about to keep on down, probably 30minites until we're out, but Richard and Vicky were behind and quite slow descending. So I waited there for them and helped them down carrying their packs and telling them what to grab. We all made it out around 6pm. Vicky stayed up top and Richard and I continued down for another 5 km to a forestry track, found a level campsite and crashed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment