Wednesday 25 November 2015

Nov 19. We out. Takahue to Kaitiaia

After yesterday I think everyone has had enough rain forests for a while. Before starting this hike I wanted to enjoy it, and walking through a green tunnel for 8 hours was not very fun. The plan was to hitch to Kerikeri and continue on from there cutting out 75km from our journey. (I'll most likely go back when I reach Auckland). 
Road walking into this little village of Takahue was uneventful and boring, nothing like walking through a jungle, but it was a good change. 
We walked out to SH-1 in hopes to catch a ride. 2km in a farmer asked us to come in for tea or water. It was the first person to offer a drink so we took it. He had a fantastic property and a nice patio area in the back. After a quick chat, back onto the trail. 
Once we made it to SH-1 my proposition was to both try and hitch hike one direction. He would for Kerikeri and I would for Kaitiaia. Because Kerikeri is 80 or so km away and off the main highway I thought it would be nearly impossible to make it with only 5 hours of daylight left. After 30 minutes a man in an SUV stopped and offered us a lift to Kaitiaia. He parked in the lane and just waited for us to pile in, didn't pull over on the side or anything. And strangely enough the cars behind him didn't honk, they just waited patiently until they could pass. That would never happen I'm Alberta. Or anywhere else for that matter. 
Made it and booked bus tickets for 9am the next morning to LeriKeri. We stopped at the local backpackers holiday park and got a nice room with two beds. 
I was hungry. So hungry. There was a KFC 2'mimutes away. I went in and ordered the two of the biggest burgers they had, and a big glass of water. 
There were other people at the backpackers who were ready to start their TAT and some wanting t start Herekino forest...for fun! I talked with them all and shared my views of the trail and what to expect. Soon after I crashed on the bed and read about half of my book 'The Martian'. Great book. 
Tomorrow off to KeriKeri. 


No comments:

Post a Comment