Wednesday 25 November 2015

Nov 21 Kerikeri to Russell Forest hut

I didn't stop at Paihia instead walked 38km to a bloody hut in the middle of a rainforest. My leg started hurting very early in the day, my left leg bottom calve muscle. Then about 2km in my leg knee started having crazy pain just below the knee cap. I was worried that this could be it for a while and I would have to take some rest days while it gets better. But I know what my dad would say. "It's fine, it's not even broken yet, tis but a scratch". He wouldn't say that, but something close it. 
So I cranked some times and continued to walk past Kerikeri and into a pine forest track with a real path! An actual path!  
At some points I would heel over and wince in pain from my knee. I thought something just be wrong with it, it really hurt. The next 2 hours I was trying to figure out how to walk so it wouldn't hurt. First I tried baby steps, that was hopeless. Used my walking stick as a crutch, but I'd max out going 1kph. Next I tried to keep my left leg stiff and walk like a gimp. This helped a bit but I would eventually jab my leg against the ground and the pain was even worse. Eventually I tried big steps, to stretch my muscles and joints even more. This suprisingly helped wonders. The pain was gone. I caught up with Richard and was given 2 ibuprofen which was a great relief. 

Anyways...got to Piahia and really really wanted to stop. The pain was back, but not too bad. The next part of the track you have to catch a boat across the estuary. So I called them at 130 and the owner told me the last boat was leaving at 3. Problem. We were 12km from Opua where the boat launches. He instructed me that he could pick us up at the Beachfront holiday park about half way down. 
So instead of putting my feet up and resting dor the rest of the day I found myself walking very quickly down the road to catch this bus. 
The pain was gone, adrenaline kicked in and I was motoring. Made it there at 230 and the boat suprisingly has only been there for two minutes. Score

Went down to the main dock at Opua where there were 4'hikers waiting for a lift. The boat journey costs 100$ per group or 20$ pp so it was nice to have such a big group crossing. We crossed the Waiweira Estuary and landed on a grassy spot at the very start of it.
I wanted to camp right there but the general consensus was to push on 3-4 more hours to a hut in Russell Forest.
There was a 4km road walk until we entered the forest. The trail then turned to a creek. The actual trail was to follow this creek for 4.5km. I put on my other runners and we all pushed on to find this elusive hut. 
Getting lost only a few times, all our problems were solved when 4 gps units were needed to find the right way. 
Nearing dark at 715 I was the first to arrive to this 'hut'. Turns out it was just an open shelter, which was still nice when it started raining an hour later. We had a nice spot to make our dinners.

Today I hiked 38km! Long long day and knee is just uncomfortable now. Downhill is the worst. It seems running is the best solution.
Off to Whananaki tomorrow. 





No comments:

Post a Comment