Saturday 28 November 2015

Nov 23 Morepork Track to Whananaki

Ironically enough...A farmer living near the Morepork track has infact given us pork! 
I awoke this morning ahead of everyone else to find a whole bunch of ham and bread wrapped under a coat. What a fantastic farmer. That is a lot of ham, each one of us had 3 big peices. 
we were all quite slow packing up because one hand always seemed to have a ham sandwich in it. Everyone day set off at the same time. The Morepork track was a nice forest area with real walking trails. The first couple hours were on fairly flat terrain. The trail notes mentioned a very steep drop followed by a very steep climb. We all dropped down all the way to a creek and then climbed all the way back up. I thought that was too bad, I sure hope that is the part mentioned in the notes. Walking on top of a spur I could sometimes have views out of the forest..looking at just more forests. But anytime I come to an opening I always feel a tad bit better. 
An hour or so later I again started to drop down a very steep muddy path and I thought this is the bit the trail notes mentioned. Yup. On the way back up the trail was wide enough for 2 feet side by side with hard clay on the outsides, with fantastic views out. This was a spur, walking on the top of it. It was very steep and I started to slow down and wanting very much not to get passed by others I finished strong and got to the top. 
The spur then followed down a fence line and out into the open. On top of a farmers cleared plot offering a great view. 

Whananaki was now only 2 hours away. The climb again was very steep but instead of mud it was grass. But you can't go too quickly because there are deep hoof depressions that can easily break or injure you. 
At the bottom we followed the outside fence line to te end of the plot and didn't know where to go, the orange markets were gone. It wasn't too bad, we could see the road we have to get to. We had to get under an electric fence which meant we had to get on all fours and army crawl under, on rocks which hurt. 
Road walking and an estuary walk and finally made it to Whananaki, the place of the 'longest footbridge in the Southern Hemisphere'. 
Made our way to the holiday park, found a room, found a grocer and took a snooze. 
Tonight I bought many burgers and ate that. Protein is lacking while hiking, so I took my chance to load up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment