Sunday 22 November 2015

November 16 The Bluff to Hukatere Lodge

Last night was wet, really wet. It rained hard from 10pm to 6am. It was still raining when I took my tent down. Got it packed and I was on my way. The early signs showed today was going to be miserable, and it was. It rained all day, from minor to an all out deluge. 

Let's talk about the fantastic views you get on the ninety mile beach. On the right was water, on my left was sand dunes. Pretty dull and uneventful day. Although at one point in the day the tide came in so far it hit the sand wall and got me wet. Sadly my right foot couldn't get up out of the water so my foot was totally soaked in salt water. That happened twice actually. 

A big plus with the rain and wind was that the wind was directly behind me pushing me forward. Thus making great time. I ended my day at Hukatere Lodge. Myself and R split a single/single room. Which was 100% dry, just fantastic. The main deck was filled with all out gear to dry out. Good thing it was only us who stayed there. 
The lodge had a common great room which was pretty great. Big couches and a huge window pointing out to sea. I spent the rest of the day hydrating. I was really dehydrated from the previous days. I was time travelled to when I was 80 trying to pee. 3L of tea later I was back to normal and dreading the last day on the beach. To Ahipara tomorrow. 

30km today



No comments:

Post a Comment