Thursday 19 November 2015

November 14 Cape reinga - Twilight Camp 12km

After being dropped off at 10 I made my way down to the lighthouse where the must needed picture is. Got a picture I front of the flagpole then I was off back up the pathway to the DOC sign to start the trail. 
My original plan was to hike 20km to Te Paki stream and camp somewhere in the sand dunes. The first km was great with amazing views. One hour later arriving at quite a predicament, it was high tide and the trail says to walk over the rocks. Well I had to bush whack, and this stuff was thick, everything was interconnected and tough. I'm 6'3 and it was 6ft high in some parts. It took one hour to hike 300m, but finally made it out. With about 10 scratches drawing blood. I had one cut on my right leg and I thought for a minute to put some ointment and a bandaid on it. but that idea was deleted immediately. 'Meh it will be ok, it's New Zealand, not the jungles of Borneo'. 

3 hours later I was at Twilight camp. It was a great campsite so I set up camp and started reading "The Martian" on my Kimdle. 

Tomorrow is 28km to The Bluff. Leaving early to miss the heat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment