Sunday 22 November 2015

November 17 Hukatere lodge to Ahipara

This is it, today is the end of Ninety Mile beach. After today there will be no more sand, at least for a really long time. 
Woke up early in a very dry and warm bed in the lodge and made my way outside to check the weather. It was overcast and I could tell there has been rain recently. Obviously there will be rain again throughout the day. I made some tea in the common area and was ready to leave for 830. Today was the latest I've left camp. Normally I am out before everyone else. Hukatere lodge was quite busy last night. There was 10 people I think. 5 Americans, 3 Germans, 1 Brit and myself. 

Today sucked. I had a pain in my left foot since about 9am. Every step is painful, but at least it's only every second step. The outright worst part of walking on the beach is that there is no place to stop for a break. Ever. 
3 hours in I wanted to eat something. I thought of taking out a wrap and peanut butter but then I knew everything would get sandy. So no. Keep walking. 
Oh and today the weather was terrible. Minimal rain but a headwind the ENTIRE day. So walking was slower than yesterday and more painful, therefore just outright terrible. 
There were many times today I would just yell. I yelled at a couple of birds that flew past for no apparent reason. I was not happy. And I knew something was wrong with my foot. 

Anyways...4 hours later I walked into Ahipara then another 2km to the holiday park where Richard and I split a cabin. I binged on cookies and pies tonight. I ate probably only 1000cal daily and burned well over 4000 daily. Time to carb up. 
I wanted to take a rest day tomorrow and rest my foot but meh, let's keep going. Herekino forest tomorrow. 
31km today. Blood blister on my left foot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment